Everyone finds some mold in their home from time to time, especially in the bathroom or other damp places. The often dark, sticky substance is unsightly and difficult to remove, in addition to being a danger to your health. As bad as this visible mold is for you, the mold that hides in your walls is worse because you are unaware of its threat to your health. You need to understand the dangers of mold and take steps to remove it when it invades your home.
Several different types of molds thrive in your home. Some molds present as orange or even white. Stachybotrys atra, or black mold, is that greenish black type that is found both inside your house and out. Cladosporium, Penicillium, Alternaria, and Aspergillus are other types that may take hold in your house. Mold reproduces through spores that are so small you cannot see them without magnification. As a result, mold can multiply quite quickly in a moist environment and gain a solid foothold in your residence.
Many people have allergic reactions to mold when they touch it or inhale it. They may develop runny noses, skin rashes, red eyes, or sneezing. Mold exposure can exacerbate symptoms in people who suffer from respiratory problems such as asthma and emphysema. Mold is hardest on children and the elderly along with those who have repressed immune systems and serious lung conditions. If you notice an increase in these respiratory problems in your household, mold may be the cause.
If you have mold or suspect that you do, you need to contact a professional who specializes in the removal process, such as RTC Restoration. This action is particularly necessary if your home has experienced water damage. Flooded basements are a prime location for a major mold outbreak. Professionals will remove the sources of moisture to keep more mold from developing and remove any mold that already lives in your basement. They have a process for mold remediation that often involves "negative air" containment, which includes sealing off the affected area and using fans or other equipment to move the "bad air" out of the contaminated space. They will also remove contaminated materials, including paneling and dry wall if necessary.
Mold is an enemy in your home, but moisture is its cause. You need to fear both the mold you see and the mold that you don't because it can be a real health problem. Consult with a professional team, particularly if your home has had water damage. You may remove small amounts of visible mold yourself, but you need to be careful not to inhale the spores. In most instances, you should let professionals handle the removal. Take care of the mold so you and your family will breathe easy once again.