Electrical shocks in the home can cause severe injuries or even death. However, there are steps you can take to ensure the electrical system in your home is safe and that shocks will not occur. These are some tips for preventing electrical shock from occurring in your home.
Make sure that all your outlets are covered with wall panels. These panels should be screwed tightly into the wall so they cannot be easily removed or fall off. The wires that are behind the outlets are live and can be deadly. Any unused sockets should be covered with safety plugs to prevent young fingers from getting into contact with electricity.
With all the electrical gadgets people use in their homes today, there is a need for many outlets to power them. This often means that multi-plug bars are used to plug in a number of different devices. While these plug bars are designed to be used for several devices, it is not safe to plug more than one bar into an outlet.
An electrical receptacle can safely hold one regular plug and one multi-plug bar. If you need to use more than one multi-plug bar, spread them throughout your home and plug them into different outlets. This prevents the possibility of getting shocked or a possible fire occurring due to an overloaded receptacle.
Large appliances that use more electricity for power should always have three-prong plugs. This includes refrigerators, washers, dryers, air conditioners, computers and large televisions. Before purchasing these items, look closely at the power cords to ensure they come equipped with three-prong plugs.
The third round prong on the bottom of the plug grounds electricity to prevent excess voltage from building up and causing a potential shock or fire hazard.
Under no circumstances should any appliances ever be used or stored close to a water source in your home. Do not use small kitchen appliances such as mixers, blenders or can openers near your kitchen sink. If you do not have counter space to use or store them away from the sink, plug them in near your kitchen table and store them in cabinets or pantries.
Small bathroom electrical devices such as blow dryers, curling irons and electric razors should be used while standing away from the sink and stored in bathroom closets or on wall shelves.
Taking the steps necessary to make your home more shock proof costs nothing and does not require a lot of time and effort. It is very worthwhile because it may prevent a severe injury from occurring to you or your family members.
For more information, contact a professional like Lowry Services: Electric, Plumbing, Heating & Cooling.